A few years ago, in the interest of saving money and protecting the environment, I went 'au naturale' with my cleaning supplies. And, it was one of the BEST decisions I've ever made.
When I first moved into my first place in college, I remember going to Target and buying a TON of cleaning supplies. I also remember they cost a FORTUNE! And they smelled. And even when I had everything all clean I felt the need to get myself clean because the cleaning supplies smelled so toxic to me.
Fast forward about seven years and you would find me pregnant, worried that the smelly cleaning stuff was doing something to my baby. I went as natural as I knew how to at the time and bought 'green' products. This was at the very beginning of the green cleaning movement so my options were limited. Then I started researching cleaning supplies I could make myself. My thought process was that if it was safe enough for me to make then it was probably safe enough for the environment, my kids, and the cats.
I went online and found a BUNCH of cleaning supply 'recipes'. My favorites are made from a simple list of ingredients that are SO FLIPPIN' CHEAP to buy! I seriously stock up on the "ingredients" maybe twice a year. And, I know the whole list probably cost under $10. Well, except for the essential oils, but I've had those little bottles for almost 3 years!
So, here's my list of ingredients:
![]()
*Baking Soda
*White Vinegar
*Water
*Liquid Dishwashing Soap
*Borax
*Essential Oils (Tea Tree for disinfecting, Lemon and Orange because I like the smell!)
I mix up the following recipes and put them in containers that I once bought as cleaning supplies. It works out really well. I've been saving certain squeeze bottles and spray bottles for awhile so that I have a set in each bathroom now. It makes it so easy for cleaning because the only thing I cart around the house is window cleaner, clean rags, and a bucket for dirty rags. (I've also put a toilet bowl scrubber in each bathroom!) Let me just put a disclaimer out that I did obtain these recipes from the internet but I have NO IDEA where I got them from. I'm pretty sure if you just googled it you would come up with a similar list of recipes.
Homemade 'Soft Scrub'
*1/2 cup Liquid Dishwashing Soap
*1 2/3 cups Baking Soda
*1/2 cup Water
*2 Tbsp White Vinegar
*10 drops Tea Tree Oil
Stir and put in a squeeze bottle
All Purpose Cleaner/Disinfectant Spray
*2 Tbsp Liquid Dishwashing Soap (a good squirt)
*2 Tbsp Borax
*1/4 cup White Vinegar
*32 oz. HOT Water
*10 drops essential Oil (I like Lemon and Orange) or use Tea Tree Oil for a disinfecting spray
Mix in a spray bottle
Hard Wood Floors
I generally fill the sink with warm water and pour in some white vinegar and a few drops of essential oil so my house doesn't smell so much like pickles.
Or, I use my steam mop.
There you have it. My cheap, eco-friendly list of cleaning supplies!

No comments:
Post a Comment